Making a false declaration of U.S. citizenship can cause many problems with an immigration case. Deportations occur everyday because of these kinds of statements. The following are common ways someone can hurt their immigration case and cause deportation proceedings to begin:
- Oral statements
- Employment related: checking "U.S. Citizen" on Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification or using a social security number or other identification belonging to a U.S. citizen for the purpose of obtaining employment.
- Application for a diver's license
- Mortgage or loan application
- college application and student loans
- Voter registration and voting
- Application for U.S. passport
- Telling a Immigration officer you are an American citizen
- Immigration applications
- Application for government benefits or licenses.
So tell your friends and family if they are not a U.S. Citizen, it is better to say nothing.